Liberal Cupcake trying to change the world and maintain her sprinkles.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Personal Space on the Bus

So I know that riding the bus often means having to be crowded into a small space with many people that often have no clue of what 'bathing' is but when the crowd clears out I expect to gain space in my personal bubble.

Yesterday while riding the bus I stood for quite some time sandwiched between a young Asian girl on her cell phone and a man sleeping(I hope) in a seat. After an entire bench seat opened up I waited the appropriate amount of time to be sure no oldies or preggos were around and then I ran over and sat next to the window. A middle aged man immediately sat next to me. Several stops later the bus is less than a quarter full but the man is still sitting next to me. I look around, several entire benches are free but I am trapped by the window. At this point I notice the man is no longer reading his papers and has also glanced around the bus. I think, oh he'll be moving soon.

No such luck. He sat next to me until his stop. After he got off the bus I put my feet up on the seat next to me.

I'm of the mindset that if it is possible to give others their personal space back than one should. There is no reason to sit RIGHT next to someone on a mostly empty public transit vehicle.

Clearly I should look less pleasant, no one is ever sitting next to the borderline homeless person yelling at himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment